I think this cluster of five mature trees next to the peace
garden is a variety of lime. My British Trees app lists three types. I'm
guessing there are more.
Now I have a preliminary ID, I can keep them under observation for further
clues. I do know that lime wood is highly prized by wood carvers. Wikipedia
tells me that the Lime tree is different from the citrus fruit tree with the
same name. In Europe it goes by the name Linden and in the US it's called Bass
wood. Why didn't I know all this long ago?
Wiki also says there are 30 species of Tilia, which is the botanical name for
the Genus. I think this cluster of five mature trees next to the peace garden
is a variety of lime. My British Trees app lists three types. I'm guessing
there are more.
Now I have a preliminary ID, I can keep them under observation for further
clues. I do know that lime wood is highly prized by wood carvers. Wikipedia
tells me that the Lime tree is different from the citrus fruit tree with the
same name. In Europe it goes by the name Linden and in the US it's called Bass
wood. Why didn't I know all this long ago?
Wiki also says there are 30 species of Tilia, which is the botanical name for
the Genus.
We have new recycled plastic benches (with some metal parts)
in the park. I'm not going to share a picture because they are quite ugly. The
old 'timber slats with cast iron ends' have all gone.
But there are still a few all-timber benches. Most of these seem to be
donations, with little metal plaques. The age varies. The older ones have
wonderful textures which are hard to capture in a photograph.
I tried using the AI watercolour option and this matches reality in terms of
drama and emotional impact, but in a very different way. It's just an
experiment, but it reinforces my belief that conveying what we "see"
is very different from taking a photograph. That's the job of an artist. To
convey something intangible.
There are several of these poem fragments in my local park.
Pie-shaped slabs of stone inset into the tarmac path with carved letters and
small pictorial elements.
I don't know if they were purpose made, or moved from somewhere else. The poems
were written at least a century ago and tend to be celebrations of the English
countryside.
This one is a lament for a village displaced by gentrification and creation of
large landscaped estates in the eighteenth century. Ironically it now sits in
the Goldings Estate, now repurposed as War Memorial Park and operated by
Basingstoke local government.
So there is a sadness for the lost ways of life but also a joy to live in a
place where these traces of deep history are still accessible, an honour to
belong to a continuous culture stretching back several centuries.
I'm getting quite good at going down rabbit holes. This
morning I was working on an excel sheet giving my personal take on plant
taxonomy (with a bias towards the UK)
Meanwhile I have a set of folders to organise information on trees I have
spotted during my daily walks. To help with identification I have found two
programs (an android app and a website) The app is the Woodland Trust guide to
British Trees. The website, something called Pl@ntnet. org
The app is great for browsing through and getting an overview of local trees,
whether indigenous, or common exotics. Compare overall form, leaf shape,
flowers /fruit, and bark. The website allows uploading up to 4 images to a
recognition feature. It gives percentage likelihood of the first few
possibilities.
By the way, we finally had some rain, not enough but let's not complain.
View from my "office"




No comments:
Post a Comment
I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people