Friday, December 24, 2021

SPONTANEITY RULES “WOO HOO!”

 In case you didn’t get it, the title is inspired by “Dyslexia Rules KO”

Another way of putting it might be “In Praise of Spontaneity” but that doesn’t feel quite so fresh. Form and Content need to mesh, after all.

I remember early on in my Revit adventure (substitute any software tool that has become a mainstay of your existence) … early on I read advice from seasoned users telling me to PLAN CAREFULLY before starting to make a family.  I'm sure this works for some.




I lay in bed this morning planning out a family.  I’ve done it lots of times.  It rarely works.

My approach to most creative endeavours is to jump in, feet first, and flail around.  I’m an explorer, a seeker, a sketcher.  I’ve done my time at the drawing board, laying out sheets by hand, measuring carefully, constructing sheets for builders to follow on site, quantity surveyors to measure from.  I am more of a “Production Team” guy than a “Concept Architect” although I distrust that fragmentation of the design process.

But I have always treated BIM as a thinking aid, an extension of my brain.  Never “think first then act” always “learn by doing”.




I’m making a Generic Church. I have a vague idea in my head, but the sleepy morning thoughts wandered around without coalescing.  So when I got to my laptop I just went “New Family” … chose the Default Generic Model family and followed my instincts.

It’s going to be “Modular”.  That’s a concept that has served me well for several years, starting with Classical Columns, proceeding via Doors and Windows, embracing all kinds of components and challenges that have fallen my way.

I’m starting with the Nave. The simplest form of church has to be an upside-down ship.  A generic nave, if I set the parameters up well, can adapt to form the chancel, or transepts.

 


I’m going for a Sweep with a loaded Profile.  Adjust the length parameter and Swap out the profile.  That will take me a long way, even with just 3 or 4 different profiles to choose from. 

Just to be clear.  This is my diary; it’s been neglected of late due to “Day Job” issues.  But I’m back and I want to inject more immediacy into my blogging.  Shorter posts, released the same day as the activities they reflect.  A worthy goal.

My daughter and her husband are visiting friends in Switzerland for Xmas.  She’s been sending pictures of church buildings.  Meanwhile my name popped up on a LinkedIn post by BIMsmith.  Memories of 2011-2014 and glorious adventures in the “many worlds” of parametric pumpkins.  And connections to my work on Hawksmoor churches in London which also goes back several years.

I want to do this “on the fly.”  Not sure where it’s going exactly.  More to come.

#BIMsmithWinterWonderland

 


 

1 comment:

  1. It is clear from the name that the bathtaps is a kind of mixer faucet that helps the flow of water in an organized manner. In other words, it mixes the two types of water and lets you control it through its handle. In addition to that, another important function that these faucets play is aesthetics.

    ReplyDelete

I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people