Tuesday, October 8, 2024

DXB-LHR-TPA

 

Andy through the Taxi Glass. These four snaps capture the journey back from American Hospital to International City which I have made many times in the last two years. Mostly routine visits, a couple of low-risk procedures, and one scary diagnosis which turned out to be not so scary.

It's a typical slice of Dubai : gleaming high-rise projects, lots of tower cranes, highways and flyover, then light industrial suburbs and mid-range residential that passes unnoticed much of the time.

I'm trying to remember back to the time when these sorts of views felt exciting and exhilarating. The whole ambience is totally different from either Zimbabwe or UK. The human species so readily adapts to new environments. It's all very familiar and comforting now, floating past as I sit in the back seat.

Such a privilege to have split my life between these three countries. Distance vision coming into sharp focus, both literally and figuratively.


Not at all sure what to think about these drawings. It was a second year studio project I think. Interesting brief. I remember we went out to look at a couple of motorway service stations as part of the briefing process. I was already going way out on a limb, for whatever reason. Mostly just exploring the boundaries I think. Trying to find something to believe in.

The crudeness of the drawings is quite shocking really. Although it's not quite fair to compare this to the output of computer literate students of recent years. I could draw, but I don't think I was putting the time in and I certainly didn't bother much with drawing boards. I suspect I was aiming at a certain deliberate spontaneity bordering on the naive.

 


 

 
Twenty years later (when I had actually read Venturi and seen the woeful influence of his polemics on South African architecture) I came out strongly against the Post Modern fashion that had swept through architecture schools. But when I made these drawings I just thought we were being radical. Doing for architecture what David Hockey had done for painting.

But what is it that connects the young idealist of more than 50 years ago to the grandfather with a passion for BIM and history living alone out in the desert? They are both me. I suppose it's the journey of life that connects them.

Such a winding road.

 



A wonderful place, inspiring project, superb little film. Well done guys! Brings back so many memories of the time that I attended the workshop and made my own small contribution to this epic exploration of history.

I only managed to attend once but it was such an inspiring visit. This project meshes so well with my life-long passion for understanding history through the prism of "the way we build" A great team. Proud to have played a part.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mT1lY032wY

 

I will soon be heading to the US and attending Autodesk University. Looking forward to connect with many old friends and in particular the Volterra group who will have an exhibit this year.

Events beyond my control have prevented me from attending the Reality Capture workshop for a second time. Let's see what the future will bring. The first visit sparked off a lot of activity which can be found on my blog. One branch of that work was the modelling of San Giusto, a church that sits outside the medieval wall, but within the Etruscan boundary.

 

 

 
My term for this is "Rustic Baroque" . The interior exhibits the flowing space typical of Baroque churches, especially in the treatment of the ceiling,which is quite tricky to model in Revit.

Every now and then I spend a weekend or two pushing this model a bit further along. This could involve hardcore modelling, or it could focus on developing the sheet set. As with my other work under the rubric of "The Way We Build" I try to juxtapose model views with photographs taken on sight and personal reflections on the meaning of the building to me as representation of its own place and time.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people