Sunday, January 31, 2016

NEW YEAR BROOM SWEEPINGS

For some time now I've been meaning to spruce up the blog a bit and some of you may have noticed that I had a go at the "Pages" ... those buttons up near the top.  I added a "Pumpkins" page and reorganised "The Way We Build" and "Downloads" a bit.  Hopefully this will make it easier to mine my ramblings for the good bits.

You can come across all kinds of interesting things while cleaning up after a long period of neglect.  I do intend to make more freebies available.  Mostly they are just waiting to get cleaned up a bit.  Anyway I received a request a couple of weeks ago to post the lightweight stylised car family that I described almost 5 years ago now.  Can't believe it's been that long.

DRIVE MY CAR

One caveat here.  The family contains detail items that I downloaded elsewhere, so I hope it doesn't cause offence for me to pass these on.  They were in the public domain, and I'm not making any money out of them, but they are not my work.



I did embed this car in a parking family at some stage, and we've used that combo quite a bit in real live projects.  You can choose to show the car (or not) on an instance basis, so it's a useful way of adding a bit of "realism" to your parking layout. You know, "let's sprinkle a few cars in there to liven the drawing up a bit."  You don't want to do that with some embedded 3d cad vehicle, but this lightweight item seems to be just fine.  Orthographic views only display 2d content.



It would be nice to develop a few more of these for variety, but that might take another 5 years :)  I did make a delivery vehicle version, but that's not got 2d elevations embedded at present.  So much "finishing off" that I could do ... how will I ever find the time ?  So for now I'll just throw in what I have.  Please feel free to improve these families and send them back to me.  I've been saying for a very long time that the Revit content out their is not as good as it could and should be.  A group of experienced end users, fully committed to open-source sharing could surely change that.  Don't you think ?



You can control the lineweight & colour of the 2d elevations from Object Styles/Imported Categories/Imports in Families of course. Or use the view specific version under VG.  I made them as entourage, but you could change the category if you want to.
So that's it for now.  Download the families here, and I hope you find them useful.

LINK

1 comment:

I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people