Friday, March 19, 2021

MORE GREY STORIES

 August 2013 and a series of fairly diverse posts.  The first one deals with embedded detail items and the “show when cut” checkbox.  This feature is disabled for most categories but can be accessed by changing the category to “window” and back again.  I should do another post about this kind of work. I wish there was an easier way to draw a detail “in-place” and then transfer this work into the family environment so it appears in every instance of a placed family.

The complex families shown in this post illustrate the kind of situation I’m talking about.

https://grevity.blogspot.com/2013/08/window-hacking.html

 


 

 

Switching scales from micro to macro in the next post.  Experiments in master-planning/ urban design/ density studies.  Now Revit is probably the wrong tool for this kind of exercise.  On the other hand it sucks to keep switching back and forth between applications and file formats.  Why can’t we move seamlessly between scales from a cupboard detail to a city neighbourhood while maintaining bidirectional associations?

Wouldn’t that be fun?

https://grevity.blogspot.com/2013/08/urban-generics.html

 


 

The next one may well be the longest post I ever did.  Can’t believe it!  Impressive though.

It starts with a manifesto for “The Way We Build” which I describe as “my spare time research project” then dives into a description of my decision to start afresh on Corb’s chapel which I had attempted a couple of years previously.  To call this exercise a “journey of discovery” would be a vast understatement.  I learnt things about the construction of this fascinating building that I never suspected, and … what an opportunity to develop new Revit techniques.

 

https://grevity.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-way-we-build-ronchamp.html

 


 

And now for something completely different … once again.  Tackling the forms behind the Gherkin using a different approach from my previous studies, setting up a formula driven rig and generating a matrix of shapes with incremental values.  I’m sure that most people would be looking to Dynamo for this kind of exploration today. 

More than one way to skin a gherkin I guess.

 

https://grevity.blogspot.com/2013/09/power-cones.html

 


 

It’s 17 years now since I came to Dubai and joined GAJ.  So many colleagues have come and gone over that time period. Looking at this photo of the interior design team in 2013 I struggle to find faces that are still with us.  Christine in the middle I think.

I had high hopes of helping that team transition to BIM, but taking the horse to the water is one thing

 

https://grevity.blogspot.com/2013/09/interior-awards.html

 


 

 

Here’s another long-standing pain-point for Revit.  Groups !!!

Talk about a love-hate relationship.  I have toyed with the links-to-groups and back workflow from time to time, and it’s never really proved worth the effort as a regular process.  Typical room layouts are the focus of attention here.  My attempts to “fake” wall joining when using links.  The intention would be to convert these to groups at the last minute when the design revisions have subsided.  Thus allowing for doors to have instance properties and to be associated with levels, but avoiding the pain of “inconsistent groups” that plagues us when updating layouts multiple times as the design team do their thing.

I remember suggesting to someone at Autodesk at least 12 years ago that it would be useful to have a version of system families like walls that could exist within the Family Editor environment.  I’ve no idea how difficult that would be as a programming challenge, but it still seems like a useful feature to me. 

Visibility controls and room width parameters for variations on the standard room type?  If only.

 

https://grevity.blogspot.com/2013/09/safety-in-groups.html

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people