I was working on a new sheet today. Quite enjoyable. I like
to add some non-revit images to my sheets, just to give a flavour to the
experience of the building which is hard to capture in a BIM model.
Often I use photos (my own if possible) but this time I opted to go a step
further and do some restyling of my camera snaps with Samsung AI. Watercolour
seems to be the best style for adding clarity.
I took a first crack at the recesses in the outer wall of the aisles. It's a fascinating detail, quite inventive. Makes me a bit sad to think that modernism took the fore (after WW2 in Britain) and stifled creative work of this kind in the Gothic idiom.
All in the name of honesty 👀
One of these days I will do a comparative study of typical nave bays for various churches that I have studied, as a homage to Bannister Fletcher, whose work has inspired me since I was a teenager. This image was taken as I was adding the recesses and starting to judge the adjustments to proportions that needed to be made once I reflected on the result of that addition. I love the process of unfolding that happens as I work on these models
Samsung gallery AI feature is helping me to look more
carefully at my surroundings, specifically nature as found in War Memorial
Park, formerly Goldings Park, a semi-urban country estate. It's where I get
most of my daily exercise.
These images aren't intended as an end in themselves. They are steps in the
process of looking ever more closely at the world around me. Drawing and
painting do the same thing, as does a model: cardboard, plaster or BIM.
There are two pairs of images here. The photographs transform reality in one
way, the watercolour reconstructions abstract and clarify, help me to focus on
essentials. At some point I will start to paint again. That's a process where
you are very intensely absorbed for a period of hours, perhaps days, and
constantly making decisions.
The result should be a personal expression of what you understand about a
specific place and time, informed by an overall world-view formed over decades.
You can talk about it perhaps, but you can't put it into words.




No comments:
Post a Comment
I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people