Sherborne St John village. The church is dedicated to St Andrew. It's a medieval foundation with some alterations and additions in the 19th century. Flint cobbles with limestone dressings like so many churches around here. Also some brick appendages. In fact it's quite delightfully irregular in external finishes and window placement.
I don't mind finding some village churches that have been completely tidied up in Victorian times. But it's also good to have others like this one that lack the unifying vision of an artist-historian. They all have different stories to tell.
The Windows have the usual deep-splayed internal reveals. Where the external treatment is arched. Flat external head leads to segmental arch inside.
More details from my recent bus trip to Sherborne St John. I'm guessing the mosaic
tiles cradling the holy water receptacle (does it have a name?) I'm guessing
they are a modern touch.
I love the way the structural timber work varies so much from church to church,
expressing the creativity of the artisans involved. No structural calculations,
just the accumulated wisdom of generations.
While we're here I have a thing for perspectives that pull the eye in two
directions. For example the end-on view of the line of columns between nave and
aisle. Also the shot of the pews, where the tension is top v bottom.
Which brings us to the monument peeking over a bouquet of flowers. Imagine a
world where people express their privilege by paying for tickets to the
afterlife in the form of artistic embellishments to the spiritual meeting place
that they share with commoners.
A far cry from the 'luxury beliefs' of today's pop stars and footballers.




No comments:
Post a Comment
I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people