Monday, September 14, 2026

CHURCH CRAWLING

 

Rotherwick Church, visited today with two of my dearest friends. It dates back 800 years, with alterations and improvements at regular intervals ever since. Not spectacularly beautiful, but full of character, craftsmanship and texture.

There is wonderful, warm red brickwork. There is magnificent structural oak framing. There are areas of flint cobble facing with limestone ashlar trim. I love the scissor-trusses with the subtle curves at the end, supporting the nave roof.

 




So much beauty accumulated over centuries. It must reflect something valuable in the culture that spawned it. We can't just go back. Secular modernity has brought many wonderful gifts. But when I visit these churches, atheist that I am, I feel a sadness for something we have lost, but also great pride in my British cultural heritage.

 




It was splendid sunny day, ending at a country pub in Rotherwick. Typical old-style English country pub with good food and a picture of Winston Churchill over a rustic fireplace. Cliché perhaps, flawed character (like me) But that's not the point. Travelling through the villages and farms to see three old churches, take photos, discuss the experience with two dear friends. What a privelege.

 


Hartley Wespall. What wonderful names. Inside it's a Saxon Barn but with a wild flourish of artistic flair. Lavish curves playing with the tension between negative and positive space. On the outside it has been careful curated by GG Scott, the architect of St Pancras Station Hotel.

 



I am left to marvel at the fact that one of the first large commercial practices in Britain could blend respect for tradition/craft with bold intervention, on such a tiny project. It's a beautiful little church and I couldn't care less that the tower was altered dramatically in Victorian times. It holds together as an integrated whole and maintains a chain of connection to the distant past.

Etymology. Parish. Para-wick. Near the clan. Village lands. Saxon settlements walked their boundaries in a ceremonial procession.

 



1 comment:

  1. A well-planned mezzanine system can make a major difference in warehouse organization and available working space. I really appreciate how this topic explains the importance of strong construction, smart design, and efficient space utilization. Businesses looking to expand without relocating can benefit from customized solutions that match their operational needs. Choosing experienced Mezzanine Floor System Manufacturers can also help ensure durability, safety, and practical installation. Overall, this is a useful and informative resource for improving modern industrial and storage environments.

    ReplyDelete

I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people