Monday, October 21, 2019

ORGANIC ELEPHANTS


First off a shot of our Revit model of Notre Dame, as a VR experience at BiLT EU (Edinburgh)  Sadly none of us could be there, but it was good to send our baby along instead.  Thanks to Cameron for the pic.





I’m preparing for my AU session. I wanted a better image for the slide about maintenance access routes. So I decided to insert a representation of the spiral stairs. If you look carefully, the stairs don’t arrive at the right place for the doors. Actually some of those doors are in the wrong place, anyway. We are still figuring it out. Which means, model something. Take a look at it. Ask interesting questions. Come back a few weeks later and have another go. Rough sketching with BIM.






Q) When is an elephant not an elephant?  

A) when it’s a grotesque.

This weekend I added the first grotesque to the BIM360 model, essentially a collaboration between Ryan and Francois. Actually I added it a couple of times. When we have more variations on the grotesque theme I will dot them around all the internal and external corners of the skywalk.








Ryan also contributed a detailed organ model to replace the very basic placeholder I knocked together early on. So I loaded this up and fleshed out the flanking walls a bit, correcting alignments, adding arched recesses and little bundles of colonnettes. Great work Ryan, by the way.






I also placed a vault at the top level. It’s the same hexapartite as used on the nave and unfortunately doesn’t respond to parametric controls, but will have to do for now. I’m very conscious of how much remains to be resolved, but right now I can only touch issues lightly, here and there.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people