Saturday, September 19, 2020

MODULAR DOORS

 

When I talk about modular Revit families, I usually mean a system of nested components with consistent sets of parameters that can be “mixed and matched” to create a large variety of combinations.  For several years now, I have been using this approach for doors. 

The great thing about this, is that the system evolves over time.  This weekend I decided to expand its ability to handle doorways with arched heads.  Half-round heads are easy because of the way semi-circles “snap into place” in Revit.  Shallow curves are a bit harder.  You will need a couple of extra parameters and a formula or two.

This is the way that I do it.

 


 

Now I need to apply this to my nested modular system for doors.  In the host family, we have a wall and an Opening Cut.  In this case I added some loose geometry for the plaster surrounds.  It’s not totally loose, the extrusions are hosted on reference planes, and the sweeps are hosted on the extrusions, but it’s not a nested family.  I might do that later for additional stability.

First level of nesting gives two families called “Frame” & “Doorset”  These are linked back to width & height parameters in the host family.  Nested inside the Doorset are “Panel” & “Swing” families, also with linked parameter sets.  Because these are double doors there are two of each.  The Swing family is purely symbolic, so it’s only visible in plan views, and will not be affected by the shape of the door head.

 


 

The hard work here was setting up the formulas in the nested components (Frame, Doorset & Panel) and linking together the “Rise” parameters so they can be controlled from the top level.

There is an extra complication because the frame is bigger than the Doorset, based on the thickness of the jambs.  Fortunately all the curves are concentric, so it’s not too difficult to make the necessary adjustments and get everything to flex in harmony.

The good news is that, now I have set it all up, when I want a different door panel I can just dig down and edit that component.  Similarly I can vary the frame.  It will be fairly simple to adapt this into rectangular doors with an arched fanlight, for example.  Also quite easy to convert it into a single door.

For now, though I just have the door I need for this project, and if I need to adjust the width or the height … no problem.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people