Sunday, January 24, 2021

AND MY BIRD CAN SING

 

Let’s try to cobble these LinkedIn posts into a blog.

I’m enjoying a new process of several short posts over a weekend, as I work.  But it would be nice to keep a more permanent record going on the blog here.  It started on Thursday evening with the decision to take a crack at an Art Nouveau door by Victor Horta.

The interesting aspect of this is how to maintain some parametric resizing ability with these irregular shapes. Weekend preview.

I love the Art Nouveau elements! One of my favorite periods for both Art and Architecture! Yes I fell for Art Nouveau as a teenager in the 1960s. Part of the "Art is Rebellion" metaphor I guess. 🙄



 

 

Tricks of the trade in a BIM context. To stop these delicate quirks /flourishes in the corner of door frame and opening from distorting as you flex the door size... It's possible to create reference planes while in "sketch mode" and to tie them to the edges with locked dimensions.

 



 

This part is quite tricky. I can keep the arc tangential to the bottom edge by locking it to the centre line of the door panel. But as I vary the door width the spline twists. Really I would like it to always meet the side edge at right angles... more or less. I love these challenges and what I learn along the way. About #doors, architectural history, #joinery #geometry ... #revit

Life is good people
😎

Thanks for posting..... it's always fascinating to see your experimentation and great that you share your knowledge

My Pleasure. Wouldn't be half as much fun without the sharing bit 😁

you're using a spline. Have you thought instead of spline to try with two arches that you can control?

I'm using splines for their automatic scaling when you lock the two ends. Works very well for the curvy transom, not quite so well for the quirk, but it will do for now. Thanks for the suggestion.

 



Hotel Max Hallet, 1902. Just a quick #bimpencil sketch this afternoon. Building the house around the door 🙄 May get a bit further tomorrow. Thanks to those who posted comments and suggestions, all useful to be sure.

 


 

It started with a door, but these #bimpencil adventures always lead to unexpected pleasures. Three glass pods balancing on steel prosthetics like pirates' legs lured me into some careful setting out this morning, and to add an "arch flattening" parameter to my half-round opening family so that it can double up as elliptical. More steel peg-legs next to support those arches. Fascinating stuff to be sure, to be sure, (Jim lad.)

... and to my shame I had never heard of Victor Horta; as ever, thanks for the invaluable back-handed (unintentional !) education I am receiving from you (all) 🥂

Interesting modelling. Would be nice to see the original windows to compare

Hotel Hallet by Victor Horta. Lots of photos online for this and his other houses in Brussels.

good luck with the curved top of the curved windows. You are not modelling with curtain walling system of Revit, right?

I have been using a curtain wall to rough this out and towards the end of the day made a loadable family for the top portion. Will share more tomorrow. It would be possible to spend some weeks modelling this house so I am being quite selective about how far I take any one family. The aim is to understand the rationale behind the design

 



 

They look a bit wierd from the outside, but nice curved window seats overlooking the garden. The top lit stair hall is typical Horta.

Excellent. i like the basement being on garden gf as well. but keep in mind function unless the 3 windows are each used desperately( piano, office desk and seating in the middle) y not make the middle one larger (maybe oval maybe just a striated really big bay window).

Thanks for your comments. This is a study of an existing historic building from 1902 in Brussels by the originator of the Art Nouveau style, Baron Victor Horta.

Love the window seat feature !

Certainly a labour of love and a search for deeper understanding of the way our species has built containers to inhabit in different times and places. I have a passion for history, for learning by doing, for geometry too, I guess. I have a deep interest in the building trades stretching back some 50 years and have been messing with computers for more than 35. Sometimes call myself a BIM addict 🙄

 

 



Just a rough BIM sketch, but a fantastic learning experience for me. Try to imagine being a Brussels lawyer in 1902 and commissioning this chic, state-of-the-art townhouse from the famous Victor Horta, pioneer of Art Nouveau. 50 years later I was just one year old. 70 years after that will take us to next year. Will I take this further? Does anyone else want to take a couple of door/window families and run with them? Stay tuned folks

 


 

There was an interesting exchange with Mark Maas who I already knew a little from the Notre Dame work. 

Why won’t you work with profile families?

Profile families are great Mark. Not sure how they would help in this case. Maybe your question is why don't I assemble my more regular framed door panels as a series of sweeps? Not sure I have a good answer to that. Perhaps I will give it a serious shot one of these days and assess the pros and cons. I have always used loaded profiles for the architraves (trim) and often for the door frames, but not so much for the construction of door panels.

the purple lines good be you’re profile family. I think profile families are more stable and have more possibilities to flex dimensions. And you can easily exchange them within the host family.

On reflection I think Mark’s proposal of using a loaded profile for the glazing cutout in the door has a lot going for it.  Definitely want to try this out in a future study.  One further bonus is that you can use the same profile for the glass as for the hole it fits into.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people