Sunday, April 2, 2023

SINGAPORE MAP

 

An afternoon walk, here in Singapore. Don't know what the fruit is called, but I like the size and shape. Somehow it seems to chime with the indoor sports centre by KenzoTange just across the water.

I mentioned the gardens in the sky in a recent post. It's a bold move and I don't quite know how to assess it, but it has become a regional trait, part of the "oh nice, I'm back in Singapore feeling"

Strolling along the lake front here I pass a 90s condo development which is generally very rectilinear but suddenly veers into strong curves in the railings. and bas-relief panels of people playing games in a park-like setting. A little bit quirky perhaps but I quite like it.

Really enjoying hanging out in this area. Makes a great contrast to International City, Dubai where I live.

 



 

The same condo development, under construction in 1997 when I drove past on the way to the airport, and as it is now, when I am staying just around the corner.

Crazy to think that my son Tom was 10 years old when I took the first (not digital) pic. Obviously I had no idea he would be living here a quarter of a century later.

My inner architect always rebels a bit at the terracotta tile pitched roofs perched over a modern high rise. But on the other hand it's kind of a fun feature with regional overtones.

Safe to say that I've grown fond of these contributions to the diversity of form in Singapore. It's going to be interesting to see how I respond to being back in Dubai after almost a month living here with Thomas Milburn and Vicky Truong

 



I think the original configuration was shutters and a railing if the shutters are full height. This has evolved into various ways. I have seen this basic concept in different places, Nepal for example.

Glazing would be a relatively modern enhancement. Even in Europe, affordable window glass comes with the industrial revolution. So we add another pair of shutters opening in with the railing sandwiched in between.

At some stage, adjustable louvres became a thing so you can balance air flow and privacy. Fanlight provide extra light if the adjusted louvres don't give enough.

Rain, light, air, privacy, security... There are no solutions, only trade-offs (Thomas Sowell) not forgetting beauty, manufacturing cost, maintenance, cultural norms... You can probably think of other factors.

 



Another afternoon walk.

Paul Rudolph's upside down pagoda across the water. I'm not his biggest fan but I do like this one. Late in his career. Still a hint of Brutalism but mellowed out a bit. The context helps of course.

A distant view of Moshe Safdie framed by the trees. From this angle it reminds me of a lizard perched up on a tall angular rock. I did have the pleasure of eating breakfast up there at a conference, six years ago.

A change is as good as a rest, and this working holiday is a real treat, family time too, truly blessed.

 



 

Link part of a Cadmapper download into Revit. Trace out a big floor made of water. Add some Google Earth snapshots, masking region & transparency.

Use that working view to trace out various floors representing city blocks of different usage types, put some instance data into the comments field. Duplicate a clean view, place on sheet. Add tags and model lines. Work in progress.

The important "product" here is my increased grasp of the geography of my surroundings. Mental mapping of the features that interest me most from an architectural and personal perspective.

Otherwise know as "Learning by Doing"

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people