Wednesday, July 31, 2024

TWENTY-TWENTY

 

How recent it is that we've had these little devices in our pockets that take snapshots of our daily lives, on the fly. Juxtapose them to bring out new reflections. Of course there is still space for creating images much more slowly, the old way with colours that squeeze out of a tube. Different ways of looking. Really looking. Then looking again.

Early morning walk once more, with the gas-fired energy factory on the hazy horizon. Chimneys straight and true, like the lamp posts. Attempts to plant trees, second time around looking quite drunk. It's a harsh environment, but successful by many measures.

Then there's Middle Eastern Breakfast after physio for my back and injections for my runaway prostate. Well not so runaway now. Stopped in its tracks by those hormone blockers. The body of my youth is not coming back, but I can find some acceptable compromises, ways to glory in this gift of life. Day by day. Too much food though.

Travels coming up very soon.

 



Quite an emotional little ceremony in the office today to celebrate my two decades at GAJ. Seen some changes in that time but still a few faces from day one.

I don't know how many faces have passed through the office in that period, but I'm guessing it could be in the order of 500 or so. One of the joys of working is the pay cheque, of course, but the camaraderie is way up there in my opinion and experience. Ultimately we are social animals who build vast cultural networks across the generations.

I'm heading to UK on Friday to take occupation of my retirement flat. There will be a period of overlap, but the plan is still evolving. I expect the transition to be rewarding as the juxtaposition of cultures stimulates memories from my meandering journey through life.

New friends and old, family at the centre. I'm greatly blessed.

 



Two decades ago I was offered a lifeline by this company which has come to mean so much to me. (GAJ) I had been in Zimbabwe for 23 years, a fantastic experience but one that turned sour with hyperinflation and rampant corruption.

I came to GAJ on a three month trial when there were two dozen staff members in a first floor office close to Lamcy Plaza. Coming from Africa, everything about Dubai was a bit of a challenge. A complete change of pace, living apart from my family and my beautiful shady garden.

My first project was a spa extension at Jebel Ali Hotel. I took it from concept to completion using Autocad and Sketchup. How times have changed. That first 3 months sped by. Brian offered me a permanent job. I went back for my daughter's wedding then witnessed a period of rapid expansion. Ricus joined the firm, then Jason Taverner and several younger architects. Cedric, Eduard, Christine... Too many to name here. Bab Al Shams was on site and The Business Village on the drawing board.

2004. Episode One

 



Sitting on a wooden bench, on raised ground set back from a junction corner. About two thirds of the way through my first morning walk from my new home. What a contrast with International City Dubai. I hope I can keep both places going for a while, just to experience the parallel worlds effect. It's mind blowing.

 



Basingstoke is definitely the healthier of the two when it comes to fresh air and exercise. I was up at dawn. It's dry but overcast and chilly. Cold fingers as I tap this out on my Samsung Note. Lichen on the old bench. So much natural beauty. I set off without a clear plan but it's been great.

Pedestrian underpasses keep me away from fast moving cars. The local park is a big open space, so green. Love the old bandstand. Houses of various styles, sizes and eras. Quite picturesque. Contrast the rather contrived way that International City is divided into clusters named after countries from Morocco and Persian to Italy and France.

 




The styling is so clumsy as to be quite amusing. It's been my home for so long and I love it for all it's faults. Going to be two-timing for a while now. Should be fun.

Such changeable weather. Will have to readjust to that. But oh the greenery!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of spam so had to tighten up comments permissions. Sorry for any inconvenience. I do like to hear from real people